Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Creativity

                                                        

Everyone is creative in some way; we just differ in the ways we are creative. We aren't born with creativity; it's not in our DNA. When I was a kid, I envied my mother and other women who could knit, crochet, and embroider and do all the other needlework women used to do. After my first novel was published, I didn't envy anyone.

No matter if you are a writer, a homemaker, a lawyer, or a doctor, no doubt you have times when you need to solve a problem that's bugging you. A recent newspaper article gave examples of the means we can use to help solve these problems. Relaxation is important. That's why so many people get their inspirations while taking a shower or going for a walk. When I have writer's block, I find the best way to solve that problem is going for a walk. Watching a funny movie or TV show can help accomplish the same thing.

Blue is a color that helps relax us and so helps us in problem solving.

Here's a fancy term I learned years ago: hypnogogic time. This is the time between waking and sleeping, when we are still a bit groggy. How many times have you had a bright idea, just when you are going to sleep or waking up? Keep a tablet and pencil or a hand help recorder by your bed. You never can tell when they might come in handy.

Think like a child. Imagine you are seven years old, and you'd be surprised how you can master a different way of thinking.

Here's a suggestion my late husband always gave me: Think outside the box. Don't focus just on the immediate problem. Let your mind wander and let it take you where it will.

Carry spare pieces of paper with you, so that you'll be able to record ideas when you have them.

Have these suggestions helped? I hope so.

I'd love for you to check out my website at www.shirleymartinauthor.com and check out my romances at www.amazon.com

1 comment:

  1. Shirley:
    Very good ideas. I do most of these but it never hurts to be reminded.
    Teresa Reasor

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive