Saturday, June 14, 2014

Have Lipstick, will travel!

IMG_0628Choosing a blog topic is complicated. At one time I used to promote fellow authors on my blog. It kept it live and made the featured writer happy but it ate into my writing time in a big way, so now I mainly tweet their book links instead.
I sometimes blog about my own books of course but there is only so much I can say about them before self-aggrandizement sets in, so for a while I’ve been stuck for a topic. Then, yesterday, I had an inspiration.  My website strapline is ‘A ticket to Romance’ because so many of my books are loosely based on the  countries and places I’ve visited. For example Cabin Fever is set on the cruise ship that took me from Auckland in the North of New Zealand right down to Sydney in Australia, whereas Reluctant Date takes place in a small town in Florida where I had one of the best holidays of my life.
As well as being hugely enjoyable, travelling, meeting new people and experiencing new cultures has changed my perspective on life. To quote Mary Anne RadmacherI am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.’
I’m not, however, going to turn my blog into a travelogue. Anyone who is interested in the places I write about in my books can find out about them on the Internet. Instead, I’m going to talk about the flip side of travellings - the many things that went wrong, or made me laugh, or cry, or both, because ‘Travel is glamorous only in retrospect’ ― Paul Theroux.
This means that I have no choice but to start with India and the two weeks I spent travelling between Delhi and Amritsar with no luggage, not even a change of underwear. It was New Year so the shops were closed - well the shops that sold western clothes were - and I would have looked ridiculous in a shalmar kameeze or a sari because I am so obviously from northern Europe. I worried too about offending the Indian families I was going to visit, some of whom lived in remote villages where many of the inhabitants had never seen a white face. I might upset them by choosing a wrong colour or an inappropriate style.
Fortunately, because it was winter I was travelling in layers, so my solution was to wash the sweater while I wore the blouse, and vice versa, while the jeans, boots, woollen jacket and cape were easy to dress up with scarves and cheap jewelry, things that I was able to acquire. At night I festooned our various hotel bathrooms with drying lingerie while I went to sleep in a pair of my husband’s pajamas.  I also borrowed his socks.
The experience had a profound effect on me. Once I’d accepted that the airline really had lost my luggage I was able to enjoy the trip in a way I’ve never experienced before or since. While others were busy unpacking or repacking their suitcases, I went sightseeing or talked to strangers. While they prepared for each formal visit or outing, I could only brush down my jeans, shrug on my jacket and think about the day ahead. In those two weeks I saw more, heard more, learned more, and worried less. It was totally liberating and I also learned that in the wider scheme of things, a suitcase full of clothes, a hairdryer and a change of shoes is neither important nor necessary. I learned that it really is possible to travel light.
Oh, I forgot to say...my lipstick was in my handbag. Now if that had gone missing it might have been different story!

In the coming weeks there will be more traveller's tale from the flip side on my website at sheilaclaydon.com and next month there will be another one on the Books We Love blog.  In the meantime, what would keep you sane if your luggage went missing? I'd love to know.



9 comments:

  1. What would keep me sane? Not lipstick. I have no lips...had very little to begin with and as you age your lip line disappears. Since I travel with a white noise machine because of objective tinnitus, I would have to immediately find a new machine if I planned to sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting topic. I have been so very fortunate in that I have only once had luggage go missing. I went from Canada to the UK, my luggage went to Hamburg via Florida. Go figure! It really wasn't too onerous as part of the pleasure in visiting my family was a day's shopping trip with my daughter. But the concept of travelling light is growing on me. My last trip to the UK was for a longer time frame than usual involving four pieces of luggage. Not fun on my own. However, I now have one wardrobe in the UK and another in Canada. I'm aiming for the day when I can make the trip with just my purse and a toothbrush!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Cute story about India. Just finished one of yours set in India. Enjoyed. The only time I thought a bag was lost was because I was arranging for the car and my husband didn't recognize the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I'm still trying to teach myself how to pack light on a trip, although I wouldn't want to learn because the airline had re routed my luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention that I once got all the way home before I discovered I'd taken someone else's bag. It looked just like mine so I didn't bother to read the tag. I felt so bad for the person it belonged to, and immediately drove back to the airport to make the exchange. I'm sure that person is still talking about the dolt who took their suitcase. Sine then, I pick patterns that are very different than the norm, or do like my mom and tie a bow on the handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting Ginger. One real coincidence - I was just about to order some noise reducing earphones for my son in law's birthday present when I read your comment - and I, too, tie bows, or did until recently when I found a website that produces woven case straps with your name on them. They lock around the case too. Very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My aim is your aim Victoria. I might have survived India with no luggage and learned from it, but I didn't learn enough to keep my packing to a minimum on subsequent trips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting Janet...only a man!!! Sexist comment I know, but I live with one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too right Sydell - once was enough and nowadays I always throw in that extra sweater or jacket!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive