Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Favorite Things - by Cheryl Wright

As an author, I feel somewhat creative. I get to write books, the sorts of books I love to read.

I have been published since 2003, but the thrill of having something published - whether that's an article, a short story, or a novel - never leaves me.

Don't Tell, Don't Die by Cheryl Wright
My latest novel Don't Tell, Don't Die was published on April 21, and it was absolutely breathtaking knowing that once again one of my 'babies' was out in the wild yonder. (Also known as the world.)

I've known for many years that I was what others considered 'a creative'. I have always dabbled in art, as well as playing various musical instruments. Except for the guitar, I played most in a mediocre manner. The guitar was always my favorite, although I admit to not having touched it for a few years. (Note to self: start playing guitar again!)

Apart from writing, my most favorite thing to do is make greeting cards. It's been my hobby for about fourteen years now, and I'd like to think that I'm improving as time goes by.

In an average month, I would make around 30-40 cards, making at least one a day. Cardmaking is my way of unwinding after a long or stressful day.



Most of the cards I make are donated to various community groups, including an oncology ward at a local hospital. These are all thank you cards, and are for the patients to give friends and family who have helped during their cancer treatment. It's a small gesture on my part, but means a lot to the patients, and the recipients.

I also make cards for the soldiers overseas. These are for a variety of celebrations including birthdays, Mother's Day, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Father's Day.

In addition, I create cards as a fundraiser for a foodbank where my daughter is volunteer manager.  The sale of the cards - at their related second-hand shop - raises money so additional food can be purchased and given to families in need.

One thing I've tried to do over the years teach others the skills I've learned over a long period of time. I have three of my six grandchildren living with me, and two of them are teenage girls. Both have shown interest over the years, and both have won awards for their cards. They have also made and donated cards for the above purposes.

It's a wonderful feeling knowing you can pass on your skills, and know those skills are helping the wider community.

The cards I make range from very basic (as can be seen above), to  more complex (like the one shown below).



I hope you have enjoyed reading a little about me and my hobby.



p.s. Looking for a quick read? Check out my novella, A Winter Sabbatical.

Links:

My website:  www.cheryl-wright.com 
Blog:  www.cheryl-wright.com/blog
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cherylwrightauthor

Make sure you join my Facebook page as I run regular giveaways for followers!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    You truly are very creative. Your cards are beautiful, and I know firsthand as I have several of them sitting on my mantelpiece.
    Your books are great too.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margaret! You know I love making cards for you. Thanks for your compliments on my books as well.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy making my own cards as well, but they aren't as elaborate as yours. Just lovely, always happy to see more you've made. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jamie. I tend to make cards across many styles. I don't make very elaborate cards all the time, just on special occassions.

    Aren't they just so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cards. Another thing we have in common. I swear we were separated at birth :-) Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. Missed your comment before - so sorry.

      Delete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive