Thursday, December 11, 2014

Celebrating Independent Bookstores by Karla Stover


  
In September 2013, author Sherman Alexi sat down with his agent, Nancy Stauffer, and Betsy Burton, co-owner of the King’s English Bookshop to have a little chat about the demise of so many bookstores.  Starting with the question, “What can authors do to help the Indies?” Alexie came up with the idea of sending letters to a small group of authors, whom he called on to “become superheroes for independent bookstores,” and the letters started a movement were writers worked at Indies for a day, drawing in customers and recommending books. Over 400 national and international bookstores participated in the inaugural, Indies First on November 30th, 2013. This year, in Washington State, alone, thirty-two bookstores participated, and I was one of the featured authors in Tacoma, at King’s books.
Tacoma has four main Indies but only King’s participated. King’s has a great reputation for hosting community events: featured poetry readings with open mike, a religion and spirituality book club, a YA Book Club for adult readers, a Banned Book Club, and the LGBTQ Book Club, to mention a few. The local vegan organization meets there as does the sword and laser group. And those are just the regularly-scheduled groups.

Anyway, on Indie day, authors worked in shifts, were asked to provide recommendations for customers, and given the opportunity to read from their own books. I was lucky enough to have two friends face a bitterly cold day and come out to support me, one of whom was visiting from New York, where he is an occasional soap opera actor and Broadway dancer. Now, at least one of my books is headed for the Big Apple. Yay!

Last year my closest writer friend died, and this year my critique group dissolved. Indie day was an opportunity to be with other writers as well as book buyers. Unfortunately for me, the writers were all men who knew each other, and I’m shy when it comes to breaking into groups. Also, I simply had nothing to say to the fellow who wrote about his girlfriend forgetting (maybe on purpose) to flush the toilet, and their urine comingling. I mean, who would have anything to offer, other than an uncomfortable laugh? And the story went one and one and on.

Though no one asked for my book recommendations, it was a good day and I hope I can participate again next year. I’d love to hang around all day and talk books. But if I don’t, it was fun and Indies deserve and need support.  

5 comments:

  1. Indies most certainly do deserve support. We have a bookstore in Calgary, Owl's Nest, which actually does something very similar.That guy with his toilet tale? Gross. Too bad you had to put up with that but maybe next year will be better but it obviously wasn't all bad if you have a book on the way to NY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post Karla, indies do deserve support and it's cool that King's does that. Thanks for sharing! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, Karla. Yes Indies do need our support. And I can identify with your having lost your writing cohorts. It's lonely when you have to go it alone. BTW, whereabouts in Tacoma is Kings? As you may remember, I lived there for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karla,
    Interesting post. It is sad that so many indie stores have had to close, leaving us book buyers and authors to the mercy of the big chain stores. Kings sound just my type of place.
    cheers

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I get back to the UK I'll to see if something happens like that there. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive