Monday, January 12, 2015

Who inspires you? By Rita Karnopp

Recently I read through some interviews I did way back when – and I found these three questions and answers worth sharing.

If you were to start your writing career over tomorrow, what would you do differently?  Wow… I would have taken my first book to two published writers, or paid an editor, to go through it and tell me what needed to be changed.  I would have learned from those mistakes rewritten that first book, before starting my second book.  Then I would have repeated the process.  Why?  I wrote ten books before an editor touched my work.  I could have saved myself a lot of work had I learned early on what mistakes I was making, so I didn’t repeat them in each book.

What authors -you know personally- have inspired your writing? I must say Kat Martin has been and incredible inspiration and support.  She believed in me and my writing.  Stella Cameron has given me sound advice as well as been a great source of inspiration and support.  Also writer BJ Daniels is very inspirational, a Montana author who exudes confidence and a direction in her writing career.

What authors - you don’t know personally - have inspired your writing? I drew great inspiration from Cassie Edwards and Sheryl Henke, Dean Koontz and Lisa Jackson.

3 comments:

  1. Good advice and love the quote from Henry Ford, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. I was fortunate enough to begin my career in the days of carbon paper and re-typing mss every time you received the mss back with a rejection. I was also fortunate enough to have editors who wanted the entire mss and then had the time to make comments. I remember the first rejection I received. The editor complimented me on the story idea and the plot but said "Your characters are existing in a vacuum. You need to put in some of the setting." I did this and sent to another publisher. More advice came back. In the end that book was published but the advice I received on the different parts of writing a story was valuable and that's how I learned to tell stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought I was part of your inspiration. Silly me. *lol* Great article. I can't believe how much my writing has improved since I first began. Every day is a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive