Thursday, March 29, 2012

Short, Sweet, and to the Point


 ~*~ Publisher's Corner ~*~

By Jamie Hill



"Man hates whale, man pursues whale, whale destroys man." 

Name that book in ten seconds.

Does this help?

"When Ishmael sets sail on the whaling ship Pequod one cold Christmas Day, he has no idea of the horrors awaiting him out on the vast and merciless ocean. The ship’s strange captain, Ahab, is in the grip of an obsession to hunt down the famous white whale, Moby Dick, and will stop at nothing on his quest to annihilate his nemesis."

Apparently back in the 1800's authors weren't required to write a blurb--just the book. Somehow they managed to sell a few copies anyway. Today, with more than a million different books available on Amazon, the blurb and the cover are the only things a reader might ever see about your book. 

An eye-catching cover is a given. Without that, busy readers might not even stop to give your blurb a chance.

A catchy title might get you a second look. You've drawn the reader in. Now snag him or her with your blurb!

The blurb sets up the story, but unlike a synopsis, it shouldn't give too much away. Tease the reader with the plot. Give them a hint of what the book is about, make them want to read more. 


For my novel-length romantic suspense books which show two characters' point-of-views, I like a two paragraph blurb. One about her, one about him. For example:


Family Secrets

As if stumbling over a dead body isn't enough, Crystal Cartwright finds herself playing surrogate mother to two small boys when their father--her neighbor--doesn't come home. The kids aren't much trouble, but the thieves, drug dealers and kidnappers they're about to encounter are.

Detective Jack Dunlevy, a cop down on his luck, draws the cases no one else wants. A simple investigation involving a dead homeless man quickly changes as Crystal enlists Jack's help with the children. Drawn into a mystery that none of them could have anticipated, they're faced with a situation that will change their lives forever.

and the sequel:

Family Ties

With a couple of dead bodies thrown in, Detective Brady Marshall's stolen goods case has just become a lot more interesting. His love life takes a turn for the better when he meets Gina Morris, a feisty waitress at the club where the latest victim has surfaced. A happily unattached ladies' man, Brady isn't looking to settle down. But after meeting the beautiful Italian spitfire, his thoughts are shifting in that direction.
 
Gina Morris doesn't date cops. Until she meets Brady, that is, and gets won over by his dogged persistence and winning smile. With things in her past that are best left unspoken, Gina hesitates to get too close, but can't resist the handsome detective's charm. When his case runs smack dab into her past life, both of them are forced to make choices they never dreamed possible in an attempt to salvage their relationship, and possibly even save their lives.
 ------------ 

Fun factoid (okay, fun for me, anyway). The first line of each of these books mentions a dead body. So do the blurbs. So does the first line of book three, Family Honor, coming to Amazon in 2012.
That's my style. Every author should have his or her own.

A few things to remember:

Don't write one line only, or merely use a line from a review as your blurb. (Somebody else wrote that.) Come up with some thoughts of your own. It's your book, after all.

Do double check your blurb for typos and consistency. Ask anyone who proofreads your manuscript to look at the blurb and make sure it's clean and compelling. If it's ho-hum, you need to know before the book gets published.

You spent a long time writing the book. Spend a bit longer making sure the blurb is going to get your masterpiece noticed.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes blurbs come easy and sometimes not. Several of my publishers take what I write and put their spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good blurb is worth doing as much as the book itself. The world's greatest novel means nothing if nobody picks it up and reads it. Now, if only my blurbs came as easy as my novels, I'd be set. Unfortunately, they don't so I have to work at it. Thunk for prompting me to do so.
    PD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Jamie. Blurbs are so hard to write, that it's always good to some tips. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaimie,
    What a great post...and so true. One of my publishers also suggests a tag line, which I thought was a good idea as well. The tag line was your quick and the the point description of Moby Dick. I honestly try to come up with good blurbs, but I've often seen authors say on loops and forums that blurbs, synopses and queries are harder to write than the book. I often agree. :)

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips...I love writing blurbs. I used to hate writing a synopsis, but some reason, one day this little light went off on how to do it, and since then, it's been easy for me. A great blurb will always sell me a book...Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, an awesome blurb can sell your book for you, so it's vital. Good article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments everyone. I agree 100% that some book blurbs come easier than others. I've agonized for days over some of my blurbs. But the bottom line is that it's so important, we need to give it serious thought.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blurbs are one of the most difficult pieces of prose to write for an author. We are used to paying attention to details, but when we have to summarize and simplify, we are lost. I work very hard on my blurbs. I know they sell the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Jamie! I don't mind writing blurbs. I actually try to write them before I write the book. I find it more difficult to sum up my book after.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alas, I know how important a good blurb is - I notice my own reactions to effective versus ho-hum summaries. If only I could generate them as effectively as I recognize them!

    Thanks for a great article, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive